Medico-legal adviser for the MPI Group
Reporting to: Medico-Legal Director
Location: London, Lombard Street
Hours of Work: 35 Hours per week (Monday to Friday 9:30am to 5:30pm)
Qualified solicitor or barrister with a current practising certificate with up to 3 years’ PQE/an experienced paralegal with at least 5 years’ experience in healthcare.
- Assisting the medico-legal director, the broking and renewals team and the medical indemnity advisers with any medico-legal matters in order to promote the introduction of new members and the retention of existing members within the MPI Group and the Indemnity Schemes it supports (currently AOOSIS, GYNIS, ORLIS, OTSIS, PRASIS, SIS and USIS).
- Answering the medico-legal advisory line and providing immediate medico-legal advice on a range of matters affecting members in the course of their medical practice. This includes advice on consent, confidentiality, professional responsibilities, complaints, managing difficult interactions with patients or colleagues, GMC investigations, clinical negligence claims, NHS disciplinary or private hospital practising privileges investigations, inquests or criminal matters. Following up that advice with written advice and notifying matters to the relevant insurer as appropriate.
- Liaising with insurers and members for the duration of any claim. Attending conferences with counsel as necessary.
- Subject to the approval of the relevant insurer and the member, acting as the on-record solicitor in appropriate clinical negligence claims, inquests, disciplinary or regulatory investigations concerning members of the MPI Group and any of the Indemnity Schemes supported by the MPI Group. In this respect, the employee will comply with all relevant time recording requirements.
- Writing legal and medico-legal content for the MPI Group website and for the newsletters relevant to each Scheme.
- Attending Clinical Board meetings as required and assisting Board members with the production of medico-legal and risk management content.
- Attending specialty specific conferences to promote the MPI Group and Schemes it supports.
- Presenting and speaking at specialty specific conferences as required.
- Professional, confident and empathetic.
- Well organised and disciplined.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- Able to work with a range of IT applications.
Commensurate with experience.
Competitive Benefits Package
Eligibility to work in the UK Essential
The MPI Group is a trading style of Stackhouse Poland.
Established in 1974 Stackhouse Poland has grown significantly achieving significant success in delivering the highest quality insurance advice and service. The company organises its client service and support by trading division in order to ensure appropriate and tailored service and product to meet the needs of its customers. The trading divisions comprise Commercial & Community, Private Clients, Healthcare & Protection, Real Estate and a number of specialisms including Lloyds, Medical Malpractice, Yacht and International business. Stackhouse Poland is now part of Gallagher, a global leader in insurance, risk management and consulting services. Gallagher prides itself in helping businesses grow, communities thrive and people prosper. All employees of Gallagher live a culture defined by The Gallagher Way, our set of shared values and guiding tenets. A culture driven by our people, over 30,000 strong, serving our clients with customised solutions that will protect them and fuel their futures.
Our employing entity, Arthur J. Gallagher Services (UK) Limited, is proud to be accredited as a Living Wage employer with the Living Wage Foundation. Gallagher is committed to diversity of opportunity for all and is opposed to any form of less favourable treatment on the grounds of gender or gender identity, marital status, civil partnership status, parental status, race, ethnicity, colour, nationality, disability, sexual orientation, religion/ belief, age and those with caring responsibilities