International driving in the event of a no-deal Brexit

With continued uncertainty over Brexit, drivers need to be prepared in the event of a no-deal exit if they are planning to drive in Europe after 29 March. The Association of British Insurers (ABI) has issued guidance that a Green Card would be required under EU regulations.


What is a Green Card?

A Green Card is an international certificate of insurance that evidences  that the driver has the required third party insurance cover. They are issued by your insurance company, and the ABI is advising drivers to apply for a Green Card a month before they wish to travel.

Motorists must carry their green card with them as digital copies are not accepted, and you may be required to show them at the border. The requirements apply to all vehicles and all types of motor insurance including commercial and motor fleet policies.

The ABI guidance says, “Although an agreement between the relevant European insurance authorities was made in May 2018 to waive the need for Green Cards in the event of a no-deal Brexit, this has not been confirmed by the European Commission, hence the industry is planning on the basis of Green Cards being required.”


Whom does it affect?

Whether you are planning a holiday in Europe or drive abroad for business, you should allow adequate time to request and receive your Green Card. In the event of a no-deal Brexit, Green Cards will need to be carried by:

  • Anyone driving in the European Economic Area (EEA) including people driving across the Northern Ireland and Ireland border
  • Anyone driving in Switzerland, Andorra and Serbia


Frequently Asked Questions

The ABI has produced a list of ‘Driving in Europe’ Frequently Asked Questions, which can be accessed by clicking here.

Download this article as a PDF.

Talk to us

For further information please contact your Stackhouse Poland representative, call us on 0330 660 0401 or fill in our ’Contact Us’ form.